Let consdier a very interesting topic titled ” Can you eat salmon skin ?” The answer is yes. Salmon skin contains omega-3 fatty acid which is good for the skin. One of the nutrients needed by your body is protein as it helps in growth and development. It also helps in blood clotting, good vision and production of hormones and enzymes.
There are many sources of protein which can be animal based or plant based. One of the animal based source of protein is fish. Salmon is classified under fishes and it is source of protein. Salmon is one of the most nutritious food we have.
DIFFERENT SPECIES OF SALMON
There are different species of salmon. The commonest ones are : Chinook salmon, coho Salmon, silver salmon, pink salmon, red salmon otherwise known as sockeye salmon, Salar salmon otherwise known as atlantic salmon, chum salmon and dog salmon.
Although there are varieties and species of these fishes, they have almost same nutritional value with slight differences.
NUTRIENTS COMMONLY FOUND IN SALMON
salmon is packed with nutrients like:
(1)Phosphorus: Phosphorus is found in bones and scales. It helps your kidney to function, keep your teeth and bones strong and to make new cells.
(2) Selenium: Selenium is an important nutrient helps in the formation of DNA elements and compounds and reproductive health.
(3) Vitamin B : Vitamin B helps in protecting your heart, brain, nerve cells and maintaining your energy levels. Vitamin B also helps in making DNA.
(4) Omega-3: Salmon is also rich in omega-3 which helps in reducing your risk of having heart disease and help you maintain your body tissues. Salmon is so nutritive that a serving of a 100 gram of cooked salmon has some specific nutritional values.
NUTRITIONAL CONSITUENTS/ VALUES FOUND IN SALMON
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin B6
- Pantothenic acid
- Folic acid
- Riboflavin acid
REASON WHY PEOPLE SHOULD EAT SALMON?
There are many reasons we should eat salmon. Below are the major reasons
(1) Eating salmon will help you improve your arteries especially for smokers or those who are obesed. This is because the omega-3 acid found in the fish help your blood pressure and the cells found in your arteries.
(2) A 100-gram of salmon has 22 gram of protein which means your body will get more than enough it needs for growth and development when you eat salmon.
(3) Astaxanthin which gives salmon the red colour it has, is known to work with omega-3 acid to protect your brain and other nervous organs against diseases.
(4) The fat in salmon does not build up your fat level. Consuming salmon will help you reduce your body fats and maintain a healthy weight.
(5) Salmon fish is delicious. It has a delicious taste and can be cooked with various methods which include : Boiling, frying, grilling and baking. Some people remove the skin before cooking while others eat the skin. The question if you can eat the skin has been asked by many. It is a good alternative to red meat.
CAN YOU EAT SALMON SKIN ?
The answer is yes, you can eat salmon skin. In fact, the skin is also nutritious like the fillet. Just like the flesh or fillet, there is omega-3 fatty acid on the skin. The skin has more of it than the fillet because this acid help to them them warm in the cold ocean. Salmon fish will increase the blood level in your body. You might not have any need of taking blood tonic for weight gain.
A study shows that salmon skin can help to treat diabetes as it has antioxidants which can be used to treat wounds caused by diabetes. The skin is also delicious if you can cook it very well and it can help the fillets absorb the spices when cooking.
RISKS AND SIDE EFFECTS OF SALMON SKIN
In researching on the topic ” Can you eat salmon skin” , It is worth to mention that eating salmon skin or adding it to your diet is somehow risky. Salmon sometimes live in contaminated waters and feed on other dead animals. Salmon live in oceans which are contaminated by pollutants.
Salmons can take in chemicals like polychlorinated biphenyls ( PCBs ) are found in equipment like capacitors, lubricants and plasticizers.
These chemicals can spill or be disposed into oceans and other water bodies and they find their ways into the habitats of fishes. Salmons can absorb it in their skin or through other fishes they eat. PCBs are harmful and can cause complications like short-term memory, birth defects and visual defects.
Burning coals or eruption can release mercury into the environment like the water bodies and pollute them. Fishes take in these mercuries and overtime they buildup into toxics known as methylmercury.
Methylmercury is very toxic to humans when it enters the body and can lead to autism, Alzheimer’s and depression. It can also cause inability to give attention and use your memory. Salmon absorb this toxin in their skin and can enter the human body when consumed. That’s the more reason why this post ” Can you eat salmon skin” is recommended for all.
People also believe that eating salmon skin will increase your calories than eating it without the skin.
For farmed salmon, it is somehow better than wild salmon although some fish farmers feed their fishes with antibiotics which when taken in large quantities can make the body resistant to antibiotics.
In this post titled ” Can you eat salmon skin” , we discover that Salmon is loaded with nutrients and also delicious. You can eat salmon at least twice a week. If you are comfortable with eating the skin because of its health benefits, you can. Pregnant women and children can avoid eating salmon skin as they are prone to the risks associated with it. However, instead of consuming red meat always, you can incorporate salmon fish in your diet.