Can you use a heating pad while pregnant!
Heating pad can be used to relieve pains associated with sore neck and back. A research in 2014 shows that heating pad help relieves pain and increase blood flow. It can be used to relieve menstrual cramps. Using a heating pad can help open up blood vessels and increase blood flow in the body. They can also increase muscle strength, reduce swelling, improve flexibility. A heating pad can be a hot water bottle, an electric heating pad, or a microwavable pad filled with grains like flax or buckwheat.
Pregnancy is a phase that comes with many symptoms and effects . You can experience frequent urination, vomiting, too much eating, fever, sore breasts. Another thing pregnancy comes with is pain and aches especially in the back, neck and hip. Heating pad can relieve these pains and aches, you may be wondering if it’s safe to use a heating pad when you are pregnant.
The answer is yes. You can use a heating pad but there are precautions to it’s usage. The warmth from a heat pack can also increase your range of motion while decreasing muscle spasms. Overall, it’s a good way to find pain relief during pregnancy. Many pregnant women experience muscle cramps. Some happen in the hands, back and even feet.
Heating pad can be used to reduce pain of muscle cramps. During pregnancy, you may experience back and pelvic pain due to these following reasons:
(1) Your weight increases : As your pregnancy advances, you gain more weight and your back carries the weight. This might cause back pain.
(2) Compromised posture : You might develop bad posture when adjusting to your new shape and weight. Sitting for a long time, bending over and lying position can cause sore hips and back.
(3) Hormone levels : As your body is preparing for delivery, hormones are released to soften your ligaments. This can be uncomfortable as your back is not supported.
CAN YOU USE A HEATING PAD WHILE PREGNANT ?
In answering the question ” Can you use a heating pad while pregnant”, lets understand first that Pregnancy can help you change your usual routine as most activities might be unsafe for the baby. Luckily, heating pad can be used at any time while pregnant but there are precautions to take. Some of them are;
(1) Wrap the heating pad with a cloth before usage: Do not apply the heating pad directly to your uterus or abdomen. If you are experiencing severe abdominal pain, you should see your doctor to be sure everything is alright.
(2) Avoid using the pad for a prolonged time like overnight: Pregnant people should not raise their body temperature which can be harmful to the baby. You can take a break and then reheat and reapply if you would like more relief.
(3) The heating pad should not be too hot to avoid burns: If your heating pad has temperature settings, adjust it to the lowest setting that will make you feel better.
Make sure not to use the heating pad on your belly. Some abdominal pain is not caused by your weight or posture but other factors. When you notice any of these symptoms, see your doctor immediately.
• Painful urination
• Spotting or bleeding
• vaginal discharge
OTHER PREGNANCY ALTERNATIVES
Although heating pad is good and harmless to you and your baby, you can consider other options to relieve pain and aches.
(1) Massages : Prenatal massage can relieve muscle and joint pains that are often brought on by the physical and hormonal changes during pregnancy. Most people experience swelling in places especially the leg. Prenatal massage helps reduce swelling by stimulating soft tissue in swollen joints.
(2)Exercise : Doing some exercises can help relieve aches and strengthen the body. Try going out for a daily walk or swimming as often as you can. Both walking and swimming are great low-impact workouts that are safe to do while pregnant.
(3) Acupuncture : This is a traditional method known by the Asians. acupuncture has been shown to successfully reduce back and pelvic pain if combined with good posture. In case you’re not familiar, dry needling acupuncture involves inserting small needles into areas on the body and stimulating specific points.
Although research shows acupuncture to be good and effective, you should still talk to your doctor if it is okay for you. That is why this topic “Can you use a heating pad while pregnant” is very important and recommended for all.
In this article “Can you use a heating pad while pregnant”, we have examined what a heating pad is, how to use it and its effect on pregnancy. Using heating pad while pregnant is safe if proper cautions are adhered to. Think of it as self-care. You can enjoy the goodness and relieving benefits of a heating pad.
But avoid using it for longer than 20 minutes.
Start with the lowest setting, and make sure you don’t fall asleep with it. You can also try a microwaveable heat pack or a hot water bottle. Talk to your doctor if you notice any changes. I believe that this post “Can you use a heating pad while pregnant” have answered your question.