In this post, we shall be discussing on the end stage liver disease death process otherwise referred to as chronic liver failure. Liver is a vital organ in the body that plays an essential part in body metabolism. If this organ is damage either by carelesness or poor living lifestyle can results into damage, disease and even death of the patient involved,
This end statge liver disease death process is not immediate or quick and without warning. It is a gradual progress accompanied with signs and symptoms over a long period of time. It goes on over months, years and decades. One of the most common disease of liver is cirrhosis. Cirrhosis is scientifically proven to be the reason for liver failure, which happens when the scar tissue in the liver replaces the good, well or healthy liver tissue in such a way that even the liver is overwhelmed by the scar tissue and therefore cannot function properly to attend maximum efficiency.
This kind of disease is seen or observe when a patient develops abnormal liver function as a result of ascites or renal impairment, hepatic encephalopathy and vatical hemorrhage etc. All these are said to be the end stage liver disease.
Liver which is considered to be the second largest organ in the body and noted to be very essential in the body system with essential role in metabolism. This means that a damage liver may also means a damage life.
Functions of Liver
Liver as important as it is, has many roles to play in the body metabolic system. Some of which include :
(1) Liver acts as a filter: This is done when liver filters the blood by removing all bad and unwanted substances that can harm the body.
(2) It helps in converting food and and liquids or fluid into what the body needs to function well such as nutrients and energy.
(3) Liver also helps in blood clotting.
Causes of Liver Disease
> Auto Immune disorder
> Viral hepatitis
Changes that Occurs with the end statge liver disease
- Jaundice : Jaundice occurs when there is accumulation of gall or bile in the body which makes especially the eyes and sometimes the skin to turn yellow. This bile is widely and scientifically proven to contains a special kind of dry coloring material simply known as pigment. This yellowish pigment is scientifically proven and called bilirubin . Bilirubin is responsible for the occurrence of this yellow color of the eyes and skin. Jaundice is a common sign that the liver can no longer move bile to the intestines, for it final removal from the body through excretion. The treating of bilirubin accumulated in the body system of a patient, may include using stent to keep the bile duct open or they may insert an external tube to drain out bile from the liver. It is said to cause itchiness if the process is repeated regularly. It’s very tiring and distressing to treat itchiness.
- It increase the risk of bleeding: There’s increase in bleeding and bruising if the patient’s liver can no more provide or make proteins to aid the clotting of the blood. This automatically, but in a gradual process change the patient’s gastrointestinal tract. This gastrointestinal tract is seen in the development or the enlargement of veins in the oesophagus ( that is the lower part of the oesophagus to be specific). The veins that are enlarged can result in rupture which increases the risk of further loss of blood through bleeding.
- There is buildup of fluid in the abdomen: Building of fluid in the abdomen is very uncomfortable and unbearable. It is seen in the shortness of breathing as if there is too much force on the diaphragm and this may put someone’s to more danger or risk of death. There’s also loss of appetite, which causes the patient to crave less for food or even take a large or normal amount of food. There is also nausea which makes the patient to vomit more oftenly. There is evident of back and abdominal pain. Also, the patient is said to be at risk of developing infections especially when the fluid is present. This fluid is to be drain out inorder to avoid more damage. This process always helps the patient in that, its reduces abdominal and back pain as well as shortening of breath and nausea. Though after all these process, the fluid is believe to come back occasionally sooner. Draining of this fluid is done regularly.
- Reduction in functionality of brain cells: There is evident of confusion, mainly caused by toxins like ammonia building up in the blood. This is seen when the person is unable to differentiate between day and night. Also, there is outmost display of such characters like personality issues, memory loss, irritability or even inability to think properly. This leads to the patient becoming sleepy and extremely confused. This dialema can escarlates to coma and the inability to response to stimuli.
The liver is a vital and essential organ that helps in bile production, protein synthesis and blood clotting. Most importantly, it helps in the removal of wate product from the body. It is therefore advice that the liver should well be taken care of. One should also avoid food that may be toxic and harmful to the liver. Too much of alcohol intake can destroy can damage the liver.