Hairy Nipples are found in almost every part of our body, in different lengths and widths, even in unusual parts like the nipples.
Hairy nipples are normal conditions in women and vary in quantity. Although some women feel distressed about hairy nipples, they usually don’t signify any underlying health issues, but if you feel uncomfortable for any reason whatsoever, it is best to visit a doctor for reassessment.
CAUSES OF HAIRY NIPPLES IN WOMEN
There are different reasons nipple hairs may choose to grow.
They include: Hormonal changes and fluctuations. Nipple hair in women is obvious due to hormonal changes. These changes develop and prompt the changes in nipple hair growth and colors.
Hormonal changes mostly occur during pregnancy and menopause, in rare cases, it happens when a woman is in her 20s and 30s which may cause the manifestation of nipple hair for the first time.
1. Overproduction of Male Hormones: Hormonal imbalance contributes to the development of hairy nipples. During menopause, the level of female sex hormones tends to reduce leading to the male sex hormones including testosterone having a high effect on the growth of nipple hair. Other symptoms include:
- Oily skin can lead to breakouts and acne>Interruption of menstrual periods
- Growth in skeletal muscle quantity>Loss of hair due to male pattern baldness.
- In the course of excessive male hormones, you should consult a doctor who can confirm this and administer the proper remedy.
2. Polycystic Ovary Syndrome: Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)is a condition that influences the way the ovaries function. It is a result of hormonal imbalance. PCOS is speculated to affect 1 out of every 10 women. The signs of PCOS include:
- Unstable menstrual periods.
- Ovarian cyst.
- Unnecessary hair growth in rare places for females, like the nipples.
3. Medication: Specific medications usually have side effects which can also be a contributing factor to the growth of nipple hair. Drugs such as testosterone, glucocorticosteroids, and certain other immunotherapy medicine result in hairy nipples.
4. Cushing’s Syndrome: Cushing’s syndrome is another condition caused by glucocorticosteroid medicine. It is the increased and lengthy divulgence of a high level of cortisol in the body.
Its symptoms are usually similar to PCOS, other symptoms include:
- Improved hair growth.
- Irregular menstrual periods.
- High blood pressure.
- Increased chest and abdomen while arms and legs remain slim.
- Fat neck and shoulders.
- Red, round and puffy face.
- Scrapes easily.
- Stretch marks that are big and purple.
- Susceptibility in the upper arms and thighs.
- Short libido.
- Fertility problems.
- Mood swings.
- High blood glucose level.
WHAT ARE THE TREATMENT OPTIONS
As earlier stated, hairy nipples are harmless and may not signify any health problem, hence, the needless use for removal. Nevertheless, a lot of women still feel uncomfortable about it and choose to get rid of them to make them feel good. With the following methods, hairy nipples can be reduced and removed.
1. Trimming the Nipple Hair: The appearance of nipple hairs can be lessened through trimming. Small nail scissors are best for this process. Carefully carry out such a method to avoid cutting the skin because the hair will be cut close to the skin. Regular trimming will be performed from time to time when the hair grows back.
2. Tweezing the Nipple Hair: Tweezing is a painful way of getting rid of nipple hair due to the softness of the areola. To reduce the painful effect, it is best to pluck hair after a warm bath because the warm water opens the pores to the skin making it easy for the hair to be removed. Even though it is effective, it poses the risk of infection and ingrown hair.
3. Shaving the Nipple Hair: Shaving, another method of removing unwanted nipple hair is effective. Although it increases the chance of infection, ingrown hairs, and injury.
4. Waxing: Waxing or glazing is a good alternative for hair removal and also a hurtful process. It is best done by a professional in the salon than at home to avoid damage on the skin, infection, and ingrown hairs.
5. Laser Hair Removal: This treatment aids in removing, delaying, and preventing nipple hairs. Although they can be extremely painful, it is quite expensive compared to the aforementioned treatments and can be performed by a surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist.
6. Hormonal Treatment: A prescribed medication therapy by a doctor is very necessary if the growth of nipple hair is caused by hormonal imbalance.
RELATED: LYMPH BUBBLE ON NIPPLE PIERCING
WHEN SHOULD YOU VISIT A DOCTOR
Hairy nipples are natural and harmless especially if you are hairy around other parts of your body. However, an appointment with a doctor should be scheduled if you begin to feel any abnormal symptoms.
The doctor will run some examinations to detect the cause of the problem, and then prescribe an appropriate solution for you to remove the hair.
We all want to feel good about our bodies in one way or the other and if hairy nipples make you feel uneasy, it’s okay to visit a dermatologist for removal or you do it yourself.
Whatever the case may be, hairy nipples are not a disorder or a disease and should not be considered as one.