How long does it take for monistat 1 to work? This is the first question most people ask before getting the product. There are 3 varieties of monistat 1 so knowing how long it takes each of them to work will help know which to go for. All three varieties are used in treating yeast infection and common symptoms like vaginal itching, soreness, irritation and burning that are associated with it. There are many medications that are formulated to treat the infections and symptoms but not all will give the same speed to symptom relief and treatment.
WHAT IS MONISTAT 1 AND WHAT DOES IT DO
Monistat 1 is an antifungal medicine that is used to treat yeast infection caused by overgrowth of a type of fungus called candida. The drug is formulated with miconazole nitrate and is a common over-the-counter medicine that treats yeast infections. Monistat 1 works by stopping the growth of yeast and balancing the bacteria and fungi in the vagina. Apart from treating the infection, it also relieves symptoms like itching, burning, irritation and soreness.
You should know that monistat 1 just like other monistat products are only made to treat fungal infection. Some bacterial or sexually transmitted infections have symptoms that are similar to yeast infection so you should see a health personnel or run some tests to be sure that the symptoms you feel are caused by fungal infection.
- How long does Monistat 1 stay inside you
- How long does seroquel stay in your system
- Monistat 1 reviews
- Monistat 3 reviews
HOW DOES MONISTAT 1 LOOK LIKE
Monistat 1 comes in two varieties: the combination pack and the tioconazole ointment.
1. Monistat 1 Combination Pack
The combination pack is made to treat yeast infection with just one dose, it is mostly referred to as the maximum strength. This pack is perfect for women who have active lifestyles or do not want to wait till bedtime to use the medicine. The cream is used just once without having to reapply while you get maximum results.
The combination pack has an external cream an an ovule insert. The external cream is rubbed on the vulva to relieve itching and other symptoms, the cream can be used day and night. The ovule insert is a single dose of 1,200 milligrams (mg) of miconazole, a maximum dose that can stay in the vagina for days while treating the infection.
2. Monistat 1 Tioconazole Ointment
This ointment is best for people who may be allergic or sensitive to miconazole. It comes with a prefilled applicator of 6.5 percent tioconazole ointment. Just like the ovule insert, the cream is inserted into the vagina in a single dose and can be used anytime.
HOW TO USE MONISTAT 1
Knowing how to use a product will fasten the time it will take to give you results and how effective it will be as well. To know how long it will take monistat 1 to work, you should know how to use it. Monistat 1 comes with simple-to-follow instructions that is added to the package. These instructions will direct you on how to use it and other information you may need about the product. Be sure to read the instructions before using the medication.
The steps on how to use Monistat 1 are:
- Place the ovule or cream into the applicator: The applicator comes with the product pack so you do not have to buy it separately. You may also find a prefilled applicator.
- Squat: Squat down with your knees apart or lie on your back with your knees bent and your legs apart. This will give you more space to insert the drug
- Insertion: The applicator into your vagina, let it go in as far as it can comfortably go.
- Push the plunger slowly to administer the medication into your vagina: Make sure that your hand is holding the applicator’s barrel.
- Remove the applicator: The applicator should be removed from the vagina and discard bit. You should never use an applicator twice.
- If you have the external cream, rub it gently on your vulva: You will have to wear a pad or pant liner to protect your cloth from being stained with discharge.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR MONISTAT 1 TO WORK
A study conducted using 300 patients in 2022 by Prestige Consumer Healthcare, (the makers of Monistat products) showed that monistat 1 was effective in providing relieve to vaginal burning, itching and irritation 4× faster than most medications. In fact, their symptoms were relieved in just about an hour as compared to other drugs that can take 4 hours.
Some people recorded that their symptoms improved immediately while others reported symptoms relieve within three days. Using the product in the right direction will give you improvements in your symptoms in a few hours.
However, if your symptoms do not get better in 3 days or if they last more than 7 days, you may have a serious medical issue or it means that you did not use the medication properly.
Some people do not get results and when asked about how they used the product, it was discovered that they used the external cream to insert into the vagina while the ovule insert or ointment was rubbed on the vulva. This can lead to the patient getting little or no result. Make sure that you are using the drug correctly and see a doctor if there is no improvement in 3 to 7 days.
WHAT SHOULD YOU AVOID WHILE USING MONISTAT 1
There are some things or activities you should avoid so as to get the best results. Some safety tips for using Monistat 1 are:
- Avoid sexual activities that involves using the vagina until you are done with your treatment: It is advised that you continue vaginal intercourse 7 days after your treatment, by then your symptoms would have been treated.
- Wash you hands before and after using the medicine: Washing your hands before use is advised to help prevent introducing new germs and bacteria into the vagina, remember that the vagina is sensitive and delicate.
- Do not use tampons or other vaginal products: These things increase your risk of having yeast infection because they disrupt the normal pH of the vagina.
- Avoid wearing tight clothings and undies while taking monistat 1 and after: Tight clothes especially those made with nylon can trap heat and cause yeast to overgrow.
- Do not scratch your vulva: Yeast infection causes itching, also on of the side effects of Monistat 1 is itching but it is advised that you avoid scratching the vulva.
- Do not use the medication on your face, eyes, mouth or any part of the body other than the vagina and vulva: Monistat 1 is only meant to be used in the vagina and vulva.
SIDE EFFECTS OF MONISTAT 1
There are some side effects that can be experienced while using the product. These side effects are common. They may last for few hours and go away after some days. These effects are:
- Vaginal itching
- Burning sensation
Other side effects can be experienced by people who are sensitive or allergic to the ingredients used in making the product. Some of these effects are:
- Swelling and redness of the vulva
- Stomach pain and cramps
- Skin rashes.
IS IT NORMAL TO ITCH AFTER USING MONISTAT 1
It is common to feel itching and burning sensation in your vagina and vulva after using monistat 1. This is because the drug is only meant to be used as a single dose so to increase its effectiveness, much ingredients were used in formulating the medication.
The vagina and vulva is covered with a thin layer of skin cells, this mucous membrane lubricate the vagina to protect it from germs and damage. This membrane is sensitive and can absorb chemicals. When substances are inserted into the vagina, there may be itching, burning or irritation. The high dose causes itching, burning and other side effects. These effects can fade off after some hours.
WILL MONISTAT 1 HURT YOU IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A YEAST INFECTION
One of the instructions on monistat 1 package is that you should not use the product unless you have been diagnosed by a doctor and you have vaginal yeast infection. Using monistat 1 when you do not have vaginal yeast infection will not help you feel better. The drug will only make your symptoms prolong, you may think that you are getting better but the real cause of the symptoms is just getting worse.
Monistat 1 is an antifungal medicine that can treat yeast infection and the symptoms as well. It is easily accessible as it can be gotten in pharmacies, hospitals and online stores too. It comes in a single dose, either as a combination pack or a tioconazole ointment.
Before using the product, you should be diagnosed by a doctor of vaginal yeast infection. You may experience some common side effects for few hours after inserting the medicine. Follow the instructions on the package and use the cream properly, this will help you get maximum results.