Iridocyclitis is a form of eye disease that involves the inflammation of iris and ciliary tissue of the eye. By nature, Iris is a circular and coloured structure that situates in front of the lens within the coronal plane towards the front of the eye. Iris is connected to the ciliary body which is part of the eye that produces fluid.
The eye is one of the most sensitive sense organ that as a matter of urgency must be well takan care off. Anything including the activities that would cause an injury to the eye should be well avoided. There are lot of diseases affecting the eye which some can be corrected with Doctor’s pescription.
Food and supplements that enhance healthy and proper vision should be included in our daily diet. Fruit like carrots which contains beta carotene and some eye supplements like: vision healthway capsules, beta-carotene should taken regularly to promote good vision and healthy living in general.
Iridocyclitis is one of the commonest eye disease aside short-sightedness, long-sightedness, astigmatism, colour blindness, macular degeneration and many others. It is a disease of that affects the iris of the eyes. Simply defined as iris inflammation.
Iris is that part of the eye that regulates the amount of light entering the retina which is the portion of the eye that processes visual information and send signal to the brain for action.
Iris stimulate what is commonly known as pupillary light reflex action where its constrict when encontering bright light or light with high intensity to limit the amount and intensity of light entering the eys and can open up to accomodate more light when the intensity of brightness is very low or moderate.
Iridocyclitis now arises when when the iris and connected cilliary tissues and muscle of the eye become inflammated thereby causing serious pains and injuries to the eye.
Causes of Iridocyclitis?
As said earlier, iris controls the amount of light entering the eye through the pupil and pupil is basically the dark opening at the center of the eye. By nature, the ciliary body, is a ring of tissue which enshrines or encircles the lens of the eye. The ciliary body by default helps to control the shape of the lens and secretes aqueous humor, which is a fluid that provides nutrients to the eye.
Some conditions which may lead to the damage or inflammation to the iris or ciliary body thereby causing iridocyclitis are:
1. Glaucoma: This is the condition where the optic nerve of the eye becomes damaged. Glaucoma exist in different types which are (a) Angle Closure Glaucoma which occurs when disruptions to the movement of the aqueous humor push the iris out of position thereby leading to an increased pressure within the eye. The most common symptoms of Glaucoma are: eye pain, nausea, blurred visions and persistent headaches
2. Horner’s Syndrome: This occurs when there is a disrupted nerve pathway on one side from the brain leading to the eye. Research as shown that Horner’s syndrome may be a result of underlying health medical condition like diabetes resulting into stroke. Some specific symptoms of Horner’s syndrome include: a smaller pupil, drooping eyelid and little or no sweating on the affected side of the eye. Currently, there no specific treatment for Horner’s syndrome, but treatment for the underlying ill condition cause may to restore normal nerve functions.
3. Aniscoria ( This is when pupils are of different sizes, with one being either abnormally dilated or small. It can also occur due to the combined effect of underlying health condition and Horner’s syndrome )
4. Genetics abnormality
5. Injury and eye infection
What are symptoms of Iridocyclitis?
The are some common symptoms of Iridocyclitis. Here, one should contact a doctor immediately when experienced the following symptoms
- Constant and regular itching
- Impaired and blurred vision
- Eye pain
- An inflammed eyes
- Sharp light sentivity
How is Iridocyclitis diagnosed?
Iridocyclitis exist in three categories which are: the acute Iridocyclitis where the inflammation is persistent for the period of three weeks and can last up to three weeks. Acute Iridocyclitis occurs when the inflammation is persistent and lasted up to three and four months, whereas recurrent Iridocyclitis occurs when there is a frequent and regular re-occurence of pains and inflamation.
It is observed that most cases of iridocyclitis clears up by themselves naturally within a few days of occurrence. However, If Iridocyclitis is caused by an infection or a specific health under-lying condition, then treating this underlying health condition can serve as a prerequisite for the treatment.
It is worthy to mention that thetreatment of this disease should be started early to minimize damage or impaired vission. The recommended treatment is what is commonly known as corticosteroids which may be ministered in different to include topical, oral and periocular.
Always consult your doctor before taking any eye supplements