There are several superstitions about left hand itching, the most common is that it is a sign of outflow of money, however, when the itch persists, it could be a sign of a medical condition. In such a case, you should pay a visit to the hospital as persistent itching may be a sign of hand eczema, diabetes, dry skin, psoriasis, or an allergy.
WHAT ARE CERTAIN SUPERSTITIONS ABOUT THE LEFT HAND ITCHING
★ The left and right sides of your body perform different functions. So when your left hand is itching, it is probably triggered by the right side of your brain.
★ Your left hand is associated with feminine energy and your intuition. If your left hand is itching it could mean that you are really tapping into your intuition at the time.
★ Left hand itching could also be a message from the universe, telling you that you need to let things just occur and that you cannot always be in control.
★ It could also mean someone is thinking of you and you have to open up to the possibilities.
★ Left hand itching can indicate that you are agitated, stressed, and feel like life is going nowhere.★ It is also gender-based in some beliefs. If a woman’s left hand is itching, it may indicate a positive sign, but when it is a man’s left hand, it is a negative sign.
MEDICAL CONDITIONS THAT RESULTS FROM HAND ITCHING
1. DIABETES: This is a rare cause of itching on the left hand, but it occurs because diabetes causes poor blood circulation to the hands, so it can cause your skin to be itchy and prickly. But diabetics usually experience this form of itch on their legs than on their hands.
2. HAND ECZEMA: Also known as dermatitis, a common condition caused by inflammation of the skin. There are different types of eczema, a type of hand eczema called dyshidrohic eczema, which causes a person to have small itching blisters, specifically on the hand. People with certain professions at risk of hand eczema are:– Caterers– Cleaners – Hairdressers– Healthcare– Mechanics
3. ALLERGIC REACTIONS: Itchy hands can be a result of repeated exposure to an irritant or chemical that eventually results in an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction may appear 48-96 hours after contact with an allergen such as perfumes, soaps, antiseptics, metals e.t.c. A reaction to a new medication could also be a cause of hand itching. The body reacts by producing histamine and this causes your hand to itch.
4. PSORIASIS: A chronic autoimmune inflammatory condition that is caused when the immune system mistakes skin cells for a virus or other infection and responds by overproduction of more skin cells. The condition can be triggered by factors such as stress, cold, bacterial infections such as strep throat. It is characterized by white blisters and areas of redness.
5. DRY SKIN: The atmosphere is a major factor for having dry skin. The dryness can lead to cracked, bleeding skin and itchiness.
6. CIRRHOSIS: An autoimmune disease called primary biliary cirrhosis (PBC) can cause itchiness. In addition to itchy palms, a person with this disorder may experience blotchy palms, nausea, dark urine, and diarrhea.
SEE ALSO: HIGH CHEEKBONES VS LOW CHEEKBONES
Prevention of Left Hand Itching
- Using a moisturizer is one of the best ways to prevent hand itching. Applying a moisturizer immediately after drying the hands, especially if you have dry skin.
- Avoid gel-based hand sanitizers. This type of sanitizer often contains a high concentration of drying alcohol, which can promote dry skin.
- Hands should be washed with lukewarm water and fragrance-free soaps or cleansers should be used.
Treatment of Left Hand Itching
Treatment is based on the underlying cause of the itchiness. Recommended treatments may be:
i. Frequent use of moisturizer: moisturizing often can help reduce itching. In cases like hand eczema, moisturizing can be done after washing.
ii. Ultraviolet light therapy: severe irritation caused by hand eczema may respond to ultraviolet light therapy.
iii. Placing a cold damp cloth onto the palms for 5-10 minutes may help relieve the itching sensation.
While certain superstitions may appear to be true, it is good to also consider the possibility of having two occurrences happening at the same time to be a coincidence. When itching persists, ensure to check with your doctor and get treatments as itching might be a sign of a medical skin condition.