Let’s look at Postpill Vs Postinor 2, how are they similar or different from each other in terms of usage, dosage and side effects.
WHAT IS POSTPILL?
According to W.H.O, postpill contain one tablet because it’s easier to take and also works more effectively than older brand of emergency contraceptives. Postpill is use mainly after unprotected sex and in cases of rape, fail birth control contraception, broken condom, etc. However, postpill is a backup method of preventing pregnancy and it’s not advisable to use it as a regular birth control.
Postpill doesn’t work in cases when someone is already pregnant; which means it can’t flush out the already developed eggs. Postpill does not protect someone from HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
Postpill as an emergency birth control method is use likely when;
1) When someone’s birth control method fails or is incorrect
2) When unprotected sex happens and one didn’t have an existed birth control method.
In as much as postpill controls birth, it should not be use as a regular birth control method because it’s not as effective as regular birth control. It’s not advisable to use postpill if you are allergic to levonorgestrel or any other ingredients in Postpill.
HOW POSTPILL WORK?
Postpill is one tablet with levonorgestrel, a hormone that has been used in many birth control pills for several decades. Postpill contains a higher dose of levonorgestrel than birth control pills, but works in a similar way to prevent pregnancy. It stops the release of an egg from the ovary, it prevents the fertilizing of eggs, it prevents attachment, that’s, implantation to the uterus (womb). This medication may not work well in women over a certain weight. Talking to a doctor before taking this medication will be of a greater help.
WHAT IS POSTINOR 2?
Likewise postpill, postinor 2 is used to prevent pregnancy when taken within 72 hours (3 days) of unprotected sex. It is not used as a regular or long-term method of contraception.
Postinor 2 is widely thought to reduce the chance of pregnancy in two ways:
1) If taken before ovulation, it may delay the release of the egg.
2) If taken after ovulation, it may interfere with the transport of eggs and sperm.
Chances are,Postinor-2 prevents pregnancy 95% if taken within 24hrs of unprotected intercourse, 58% if taken after 48hrs. For now, it has not been disclosed whether it’s effective if taken after 72hrs of unprotected sex.
Postinor 2 doesn’t stop one from catching sexually transmitted diseases.
In certain conditions, postinor 2 should not be taken. Such conditions are;
1) Current or suspected pregnancy
2) Unprotected intercourse more than 72 hours earlier in the same menstrual cycle
3) Unexplained vaginal bleeding
4) Breast cancer
5) Liver problems
Also, proper care must be taken when using Postinor-2 under some circumstance. These are;
1) High blood pressure
2) Diabetes mellitus with nephropathy, retinopathy or neuropathy
3) Vascular heart disease
4) Ischaemic heart disease
6) Past history of breast cancer.
Postinor-2 is identified in breast milk. It is not recommended for use in breastfeeding women.
Side Effects of Postinor 2
More than 1% persons using postinor 2 experienced these side effects. The following are the common side effects;
- Nausea, vomiting
- Breast tenderness
- Vaginal bleeding
Uncommon side effects:
People rarely experience the following side effects;
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Symptoms of flu.
However, if anyone experience any of the listed side effects, or any other symptoms which appear abnormal or unusual, it is advisable to talk to a doctor.
POSTPILL VS POSTINOR 2: What they Share in Common
Now lets look at the similarities between Postpill vs Postinor 2
1) Both are emergency contraception: Postpill and Postinor 2 are both used in cases of emergency of unprotected intercourse
2) They Both Contain Levonorgestrel.
3) They are both Oral Contraceptives. Meaning they are medications taken by mouth to prevent pregnancy.
4) The same mode of action. Both Postpill and Postinor 2 contain the same active ingredient, as such they both prevent pregnancy by preventing the release of an egg from the ovary or preventing fertilization of the egg by sperm. It also may work by changing the lining of the uterus to prevent development of a pregnancy.
POSTPILL VS POSTINOR 2: Differences between them
The following are the differences beween postpill vs postinor 2;
1) Quantity of Active Ingredient. Although they both contain the same active ingredient, Postpill contain 1.5mg Levonorgestrel while Postinor 2 contains 075mg Levonorgestrel.
2) Presentation: A pack of Postpill comes with a single tablet while a pack of Postinor 2 comes with two tablets.
3) Dosage: for Postinor 2, the first tablet is taken as soon as possible after unprotected intercourse and the second tablet exactly 12 hours after the first. While postpill contains only one tablet which is taken after unprotected intercourse.