Oral Sedation dentistry involves using medication to help patients relax during sedation dental procedures. Sedation dentistry procedures is sometimes referred to as sleep dentistry.
Sometimes patients are often awake during this procedure except general anesthesia is administered.
Keeping our teeth clean and healthy is generally recommended for a healthy living. Atleast it is expected that one should brush his/her mouth after meal or generally , it is recommended that one should brushed the teeth atleast three times in a day .
Inorder to circumvent incessant mouth brushing, one can alternatively makes use of mouth washes. Research has shown that the best mouth wash is Norland or Greenleaf organic mouth wash which has been designed to provide good fragrance smell to the mouth and completely eliminate mouth odour.
What is Oral Sedation Dentistry Used for
Oral Sedation dentistry is used for procedures like: teeth whitening, cavity fillings and preventive care. Sedation dentistry can relieve one of fear and makes one overcome anxiety that may be preventing one to live a good life through teeth maintenance. Sedation also provides an avenue for one to deal with dental problems with ease.
It is worth to mention that oral sedation dentistry cannot automatically replaced getting regular cleanings of teeth for maintenance of healthy gum and cavity. It involves making certain procedures much easier to handle. If one is not in the position to consulting the dentist regularly, but however needs some dental work done, then one should seek the help and ask about sedation dentistry .
The most common advantage of Sedation dentistry is that it allows one to get all the dental work done in one appointment for the sake of convenience. It will automatically also makes one overcome fears and anxiety in visiting the dentist.
Sedation dentistry basically focused on relieving pain and stress during sedation procedure.
What Types of Sedation are used in Dentistry
Sedation dentistry are categorised into four types which are: Inhaled minimal sedation otherwise known as laughing gas, oral sedation , IV moderate sedation and deep sedation with general anesthesia.
- Oral sedation ranges from minimal to moderate depending on the total dose administered per time. It is recommended that for minimal sedation, one takes a halcion pill. Halcion pill belongs to a member of drug family called valium which is usually taken one hour before sedation procedure. What the pill does is to make one drowsy and at the same time be awake during the seadtion procedure. Inorder to produce moderate sedation, a large does of halcion pills needs to be administered. Some patients usually feeled groggy during the process and may fall asleep during the oral procedural sedation.
- Deep sedation Dentistry and general anesthesia. In deep sedation dentistry, the patient will get medication that will make him/ her to be either almost or total unconscious. This will make one falls into a deep sleep during the sedation procedure. Deep sedation dentistry also means that the patient is placed on a general anethesia.
- IV moderate sedation dentistry . In moderate sedation dentistry, one receives the sedative drugs through a vein, so it goes to the blood stream and work more quickly and effectively. In this method , the dentist continually adjust the level of sedation.
- Inhaled minimal sedation otherwise known as the laughing gas. Under inhaled minimal sedation, the patient is made to breathe nitrous oxide commonly known as the “laughing gas” which is combined with oxygen through a mask and placed over the patient’s nose. The gas then helps the patient to relax while the dental procedure is carried out.
Who can have Sedation?
Sedation is meant for people that have real fear for visiting a dentist for proper dental care. Meanwhile, if you have the following symptoms, you urgently need sedation
- When you have very sensitive teeth
- When you have a bad gag reflex
- When you experienced a low pain threshold
- When there is a need for cavity filling.
How safe is Oral Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is safe. However, there is a liitle risk in getting anesthesia. Sedation dentistry should be carried out by a well trained and experienced dentist who understands and gets acclamatise to the procedure. However, it is recommended that patients who are obesed or have obstructive sleep apnea should get a medical advise from their doctors before embarking on any sedental procedure. The reason being that such individuals may be allergic to anesthesia which might results into complication. Therefore, ensure that your dentist is trained and qualified to administer the type of sedation you will be receiving before you can embark on such procedure. Oral sedation dentistry is the safest since it requires taking of halcion pill.
It is very important for one to know the relationship between does rate and age. Here, the patient should be able to find out the appropriate sedation dose in relation to age so that the recommended dose as approved by FDA can be administered.