What to eat to get pregnant with twins is one of the many questions women ask because of their desire to have twins. The beauty of seeing a mother carrying her twin babies makes almost everyone, women especially, go “aww”. About 70% of women want to have twin babies. What if I told you, you can eat your way into having twin babies? Funny as that sounds, it is true.
Research has been done, facts have been proven that there are foods that can increase your fertility to get pregnant with twins. These foods are rich sources of progesterone, a hormone that prepares the uterus for the implantation of a fertilized ovum.
Here is a list of What to Eat to Get Pregnant with Twins
1. YAM: Yam is a rich source of progesterone and phytoestrogens, which may lead to hyper-ovulation. Hyper-ovulation is a condition where multiple eggs are released during ovulation. This condition creates a wider probability of having two eggs fertilized.
Studies have clearly shown that the Yoruba tribe has a high amount of yam in their diet. It becomes little surprise that they have an unusual number of twins amongst them.
2. FOLIC ACID: Folic acid is a soluble vitamin and an essential requirement for a developing child. It is recommended by doctors to pregnant women, alongside other vitamins.
Studies have demonstrated that about 40% of women who take folic acid while attempting to get pregnant have a higher chance of giving birth to twins. However, it is advised to consult with your doctor before you take up any folic acid supplement.
Some foods are rich sources of folic acid and will also increase your fertility to conceive twins, such as; avocado, broccoli, Brussels, sprouts, cabbage, asparagus, liver, spinach, legumes, and pasta.
3. DAIRY PRODUCTS: Insulin Growth Factor is a growth protein present in dairy products. When you consume a lot of dairy products, especially during ovulation, your chances of conceiving twins increases as more eggs are released from your ovaries.
In 2006, a study was made that established that women who consume more dairy products are five times more likely to conceive twins than women who consume lesser dairy products.
4. CASSAVA: Cassava like yam, helps to increase the chances of conceiving twins due to its hyper-ovulation properties.
Cassava contains natural hormones which may trick the brain to think there is not enough estrogen. This causes the brain to release more estrogen, hence increasing the ovulation rate. More eggs are released, chances of having twins increase.
5. MECA ROOT: There is not enough evidence that Meca root works to boost fertility, but it can be worth the try.
6. OKRA LEAVES: A long time ago, the indigenes of Igbo-Ora, a town in Oyo state, revealed that a particular species of okra leaves, locally known as Ewe Ilsa is responsible for women who use it in their meals to conceive twins.
7. PINEAPPLES: The presence of bromelain in pineapples, a proteolytic enzyme that can improve implantation in the uterus, by increasing blood flow to the uterus, makes consuming pineapple a remedy to not having twins.
It is most abundant in the core of pineapples and is said to help with ovulation and fertilization. However, there has been no scientific proof that bromelain in pineapples can increase your fertility.
Some drugs can be taken to increase your chances of conceiving twins, however, it is always safe to go by the natural methods as they are very simple, safe, and affordable.
No doubt some factors affect the chances of giving birth to twins, such as ethnicity, region, genetic makeup, and so on, but you can always try the suggested remedies. There is no harm after all.
If you are underweight, it is advised to add some weight as studies have shown that overweight women are more likely to have twins than underweight women.