Zolodin is a class of anti-depressants which works by increasing the amount of serotonin.The effectiveness of an anti depressant depends upon genetic factors. They can be effective in some people and less effective in others. Before taking Zolodin, there is a need for your treatment physician to carry out a DNA test to see whether or not you might respond to the medication.
People with depression often have an imbalance in certain natural chemicals in the brain. Anti-depressant medications work by helping the brain to restore its usual chemical balance, thereby reducing the symptoms.
There is a big difference between feeling depressed and suffering from depression. Anti-depressants are the drugs to treat clinical depression. It has a role to bring mental health back to normal. It is important to know that no one should stay on antidepressants for long duration, side effects is one of the reasons for this.
All ABOUT ZOLODIN
Zolodin contain sertraline as an active ingredient, it belongs to the groups of drugs known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Zolodin with its active ingredient and composition counters depression by reducing the reuptake of serotonin in the presynaptic membrane. Serotonin is known as happiness hormone. So, the more the number of serotonin is present in the synaptic cleft of a person the more happy the will be.
Presynaptic terminal of nerves secretes serotonin in the synaptic cleft from where it is attached to the post synaptic receptors and elicits it’s function and it’s function mostly is to increase the level of serotonin, the happiness hormone. So the person becomes more happy and depression is counteracted.
USES OF ZOLODIN
The uses of Zolodin includes the following:
- It improves functioning, it kick-start behavioral activation which promote a sense of well-being and actually fight depressive episodes.
- It can help in improving the mood of someone suffering from anxiety disorder.
- It can help anyone going through clinical depression gather some energy.
- Zolodin also helps in soothing issues of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
- The prescribed dosage of zolodin can help in treating Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.
- Zolodin can be administered to persons going through panic attack.
SYMPTOMS OF DEPRESSION
These symptoms of depression include:
- Casually and mentioning death frequently, not caring much and belittling death. Compassion with others is rare.
- Feeling extremely sad for no particular reason.
- Higher sensitivity.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in things you usually enjoy.
- If the person once took pride in their appearance and now they do not seem to care as much as they used to about their appearance.
- Sleeping too much or too little.
- Feelings of worthlessness or excessive guilt or worry.
- Difficulty in thinking, making decisions or concentration.
SIDE EFFECTS OF ZOLODIN
Adverse reaction may occur but the severe ones are rare and happens usually to people with predisposition. They are most common during the first 2 weeks of treatment and decrease in intensity and frequency with continued treatment. Some common zolodin side effects are:
1. Reduction of Sexual Drive: Sexual and orgasmic pleasure may be limited and this could affect relationships especially between married couples. The temporary sexual dysfunction in many people probably always goes away if you stop taking the medication.
2. Absent Mindedness: Being less aware of your surroundings, becoming impulsive, sometimes inappropriate behavior and comments can be resulting from the effect of the medication in the system.
3.Unbearable Cramps: The worst cramps can be experience in every single muscle of the body and if the cramps hit the heart it could lead to dead instantly.
4. Suicidal Ideation: The side effects in teens are similar to adults, except in suicidal thinking and ideation, there is a greater risk to teens and young adults for suicidal thinking and ideation. It is important to get medical assistance immediately.
5. Drowsiness: The intake of the drug can lead to effect of feeling drowsiness, dizziness and a tired feeling.
6. Gastrointestinal Disturbances: There can be gastrointestinal disturbances like nausea and diarrhoea, insomnia, restlessness. In the first week, there will be no side effects. Mild nausea, stomach pain, upset stomach, constipation may occur prior to continuous intake.
OTHER SIDE EFFECTS OF ZOLODIN
1. Dryness mouth: A dry mouth is one of the side effect that may arise from taking Zolodin.
2. Fluctuating Appetite and weight gain: Changes in appetite and weight are also side effects of the antidepressant Zolodin. The medication also leads to slowing down your body metabolism, where fat simply doesn’t burn as fast as it once did and this result in an unhealthy weight gain.
3. Seizures: Zolodin can increase a person’s risk of having a seizure. Seizures involve such symptoms as uncontrollable jerking movements of the arms and legs, staring spells, confusion, abnormal sensations and loss of consciousness.
4. Allergic Reactions: A patient on the drug can experience allergic reactions if the are allergic to the dyes, fillers or other inactive ingredients present in the pill or capsule and also the active ingredient as well.
5. Insomnia: Some patients experience difficulties in sleeping when they are on Zolodin prescriptions.
Hint: If any of these effects last or get worse, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.
Below are some of the disadvantages of taking Zolodin:
- Zolodin only treat the symptoms of depression. As soon as you stop taking them, you are depressed again in most cases the symptoms of depression are completely stopped.
- The use of the medication can be addictive, it is fairly effective for depression and anxiety, although it isn’t likely to remove 100% of the symptoms.
- It takes time to work, several weeks or more, and the effect of it is relatively subtle in few experience and cases.
WHEN NOT TO TAKE ZOLODIN
Zolodin should not be used if you are under the following conditions:
1. Under age: Children below the age of eighteen years should not be administered with Zolodin.
︎2. Hepatic impairment: The liver can be damage over long duration of being on this medication. Those already going through liver impairment should not be on this medication otherwise prescribed by your doctor.
3. Hypersensitivity: This has a high effect on any patient with any heightened immune response.
4︎. Epileptic patients: Poorly controlled epileptic patients should not be on Zolodin, if you have Epilepsy talk to your doctor before taking this drug.
5︎. People with seizures: The use of the medication as an antidepressant may increases your risk for seizures. Zolodin should be prescribed with caution in patients with a seizure disorder. If you already have seizures, talk to your doctor before taking this drug. If you have a seizure while using this drug, you should stop taking it.
︎6. During Pregnancy: Pregnant women should not be on this drugs, the drug have the tendency of affecting the fetus in the womb.
What you Should Avoid When Taking Zolodin
The interaction of some products with Zolodin may result in several defect and it should be avoided, some combination to be avoided includes:
1. Avoid Tyramine-Rich Food Products: The combination of Tyramine-rich food products like chocolate, cheese, Avocado etc. can have adverse effects due to it’s interaction with the composition of Zolodin and these may result in a sudden and dangerous increase in blood pressure.
2. Avoid Herbal drugs and products: The combination of Zolodin with Herbal drugs may increase the risk of bleeding.
3. Avoid excessive consumption of Alcohol: Zolodin which have dizziness, drowsiness as some of it side effects should not be taken with alcohol. Alcohol may cause symptoms of depression and anxiety in patients taking Zolodin.
4. Avoid caffeine containing food item: Avoid taking food item containing caffeine with Zolodin as the combination can lead to the a condition called serotonin syndrome with symptoms of vomiting, nausea, rapid heartbeat, trembling, sweating and weird movements on the muscles.
5. Cannabis sativa: You should not use cannabis while you are on the medication, since the combination may cause symptoms like confusion, panic, nervousness and anxiety.
DOSAGE AND HOW TO TAKE THE MEDICATION
Zolodin is available as a tablet and a concentrated liquid and can be taken with food or on an empty stomach. You should take only the recommended dose. It should be taken as prescribed by your treatment physician or pharmacist or refer to the product package.
Anti-depressant medications helps to reduce the symptoms of depression. Depression is now the most over diagnosed ailment in medicine with most patients suffering from profound sadness rather than clinical depression. The use of Prescribed Zolodin allows a patient to put their problems into a proper perspective, focus on goals and do the work that needs to be done to improve their lives.